Puerto Rico

A Functional Wardrobe



The more I think about it, the better it feels.  The idea of having a functional wardrobe instead of one full of items from the sales rack fits so much better in my head.

The Functional vs  The Capsule

I love the way that long bohemian dresses look on me.

In the past I was a fan of having a capsule wardrobe till I noticed the real reason behind it.  My capsule wardrobe existed because I had too much clothing that I wasn't even wearing. Being on my way to build a wardrobe that I could be 100% in love with, I spent too much energy in the ideal of "let's go and shop more clothing carefully" (in terms of quality).

This "fashionista shopper" behavior ended in having way too much clothing and therefore, it ended in having pieces that I had no idea existed in my wardrobe.  And all of them were good quality, but not all of them looked or fitted me very well.

Note: Quality does not guarantee looking good.


I thought that a capsule wardrobe would fix all of my styling problems, but instead, I ended up tired of planning a different one for every week.  That's why I took a break to think and decided to donate many of my pieces, to keep the ones I loved and to start going to the seamstress and personalize all of my pieces. This process created a compressed wardrobe that was fully functional.

Read: Getting My Clothes Tailored 

Why do I call my wardrobe "functional"? 

Because every piece (t-shirts, pants, blouses, cardigans, jeans, skirts) matches the others and also, they fit me.  I no longer need to create a capsule wardrobe to keep a balance in colors or textures.  I choose to have the colors I feel comfortable in, so I did with patterns.  

A functional wardrobe is born the day when you:
  • stop following every fashion
  • understand what kind of styles are appropriate for your body.
  • understand the colors that suit your skin tone.

My 20 cent's on how to build a wardrobe that you really love.  Remember that there is no right or wrong way to do it because at the end of the day, you write the style story of your life and only you know what fits better with your lifestyle.  Once again, this hasn't anything to do with money, but it has everything to do with your understanding of quality vs quantity and functional vs following fashion blindly.

Post a Comment

Instagram

The Elegant Walker Theme by BD.